[Open-graphics] From PCI to VGA registers
nova at macintoshclub.com
Sat Sep 1 09:27:26 EDT 2007
On Aug 31, 2007, at 8:16 PM, Timothy Normand Miller wrote:
> In other words, lacking more knowledge, the OGP should avoid even many
> legal activities that someone might take issue with, erroneously or
Would it be legal for us to look at/use the Bochs BIOS(s)?
Actually, taking a quick look at the BIOS source (under LGPL),
they appear to handle the int 10h by simply handing it over to
the VGA BIOS. There is a vgabios project which is the Bochs
BIOS under LGPL. I haven't had time to more than glance through,
but it looks as if it is pretty well documented and could easily
serve as a reference. From their README:
The source code is based on information taken from :
- Kevin Lawton's vga card emulation for bochs/plex86
- Ralf Brown's interrupts list avalaible at
- Finn Thogersons' VGADOC4b available at http://home.worldonline.dk/
- Michael Abrash's Graphics Programming Black Book
- Francois Gervais' book "programmation des cartes graphiques cga-ega-
edited by sybex
- DOSEMU 1.0.1 source code for several tables values and formulas
Finn Thogersons' looked interesting, so I downloaded it. There is a
PCI.TXT that contains initialization instructions for PCI cards.
license, while not LGPL or such, is basically "You can use it for
long as you mention my name and VGADOC somewhere."
Hope that helps!
More information about the Open-graphics